Mandolin Resources for Your Mandolin Adventures!
Welcome to theMandolinTuner Resources section, a curated list of resources I strongly recommend for your mandolin adventures.
I have tested every recommendation on this page. Many of the resources listed here are crucial for my own mandolin adventures and activities including theMandolinTuner (or were crucial to developing tMt to where it is today).
Before digging into the awesome resources I know and trust, an important disclosure
MANDOLIN RESOURCES – MANDOLINS
Richard Morgan Lead Mandolin
Scale: 350mm length
Neck: 33 mm neck width at nut
Body: 250mm Width / 105mm Depth
Strings: 8 (GGDDAAEE)
This extraordinary mandolin features the signature Richard Morgan soundboard, quick-release tailpiece and head stock and is made of special/exotic wood found in Tasmania.
Its sound response is clear or bell tone with fewer overtones, balanced response from bass to treble, unbelievable sustain and attack with more volume than most.
Richard Morgan Octave Mandolin
Scale: 530mm length
Neck: 35 mm neck width at nut
Body: 360mm Width / 160mm Depth
Strings: 8 (GGddaae’e’), tuning one octave lower than the mandolin.
This extraordinary octave mandolin features the signature Richard Morgan soundboard, quick-release tailpiece and head stock and is made of special/exotic wood in Tasmania.
RICHARD MORGAN MANDOCELLO
Τhis mandocello is an extraordinary instrument with amazing sustain and power, as it is:
- Scale: 640mm length
- Neck: 45 mm neck width at nut
- Body: 410mm Width / 130mm Depth (at sides)
- Strings: 10 (cCgGDDAAEE), E strings tuned one octave below the mandolin
It features the unique pretensioned soundboard designed by Richard Morgan
MANDOLIN RESOURCES – TUNERS
D’Addario NS Micro Clip-On Tuner
- Highly precise clip-on tuner for a wide range of instruments including guitar, bass, ukulele, banjo, mandolin, and more
- Discrete, highly compact design hides behind the headstock and is small enough to leave on every instrument you own – get one for each case
- Extremely accurate chromatic tuning based on vibration, no sound or cable input required
- Adjustable ratchet mechanism and reversible screen allows for placement on front or back of headstock
- Visual metronome feature for additional practice aid
- Snark SN-8 Super Tight Tuner
- Super Tight Tuning
- Faster Brighter EZ Read Display
- Display Rotates 360 degrees.
- Tap Tempo Metronome.
- Includes ChromaCast Guitar Pick Sampler.
Τhis Cherub WMT-555C is a versatile little equipment, as it is:
- a mic-based tuner
- a tuner that senses the vibrations of the instrumentvia the clip-on pickup
- a metronome that supports a great variety of tempos and note values
- a silent metronome realised via the included earphone
- a multi-instrument tuner with the supported tuning setting
MANDOLIN RESOURCES – STRINGS
D’Addario EXP74 Coated Phosphor Bronze Mandolin Strings
- Coated version of D’Addario’s best selling mandolin set
- Loopend construction for universal fit
- Phosphor Bronze for long lasting, warm and bright tone
- Made in the U.S.A. for the highest quality and performance
- String Gauges: Plain Steel .011/.011, 015/.015, Phosphor Bronze Wound .026/.026, .040/.040
An ultra-fine layer of EXP Coating is bonded to the phosphor bronze wrap wire which is then wound onto the hex-shaped core wire. The result is a built-in barrier against the corrosion and wear that can quickly sap the life out of your strings and your sound. EXP coated phosphor bronze mandolin strings have a natural round wound feel and sound fresh and bright with a “new string tone” that lasts three to four times longer than traditional strings.
Thomastik-Infeld 154 Mandolin Medium Strings Set
- Used by Students and Professionals around the world
- Diapason: 34 cm (double strings, each catalogue number containing one pair)
- Genuine Thomastik-Infeld Product
Apart from the plain mandolin E string, these strings are made of tin-plated silver steel, flat wound with chrome steel wire and finely polished. Their elastic, steel alloy core has a high inertia to musical vibration. On the instrument, the mandolin strings sound clear and brilliant, with no metallic twang. The string’s structure has been optimized for tremolo play. This string set responds well to fast changes of fingering. Tuning is stable and the strings are durable. Thomastik-Infeld mandolin strings are supplied in pairs, and we recommend changing strings two at a time.
MANDOLIN RESOURCES – MAINTENANCE
Planet Waves String Winder
- Patented, high-quality peg winder with built-in string cutter
- Ergonomically designed for efficient and comfortable use
- Integrated bridge pin puller for acoustic instruments
- Fits virtually all guitars, banjos and mandolins
- The ultimate restringing tool – keep one in every case
Music Nomad MN201 Microfiber Cloth
- 12-inch x 16-inch high quality, super soft microfiber cloth
- Lint-free material great for cleaning strings after every time you play
- Great for polishing guitars and removing wax
- Non-hemmed edge will not scratch
- Superior in picking up dust
Music Nomad’s Microfiber Suede Polishing Cloth prolongs that fresh-from-the-showroom feel through superior design, quality, and value.
Music Nomad MN100 Premium Cleaner for Matte and Gloss Finishes, 4 oz
- Cleans and protects acoustic, electric, and bass guitars, and ukuleles
- Removes fingerprints and smudges, and has anti-static formulation to repel dust
- Advanced biodegradable, streak-free formula works great on both matte/satin and gloss finishes
- Infused with gloss enhancers and UV protectants to restore your guitar to its original showroom look
- Contains no wax, polishing compounds, petroleum, or harsh chemicals, and smells great
Music Nomad’s Premium Cleaner has everything you need to care for your mandolin in one easy spray-and-wipe product.
Music Nomad MN105 F-ONE Fretboard Oil Cleaner and Conditioner
- 100 percent natural oils ultra-refined to clean, condition, and protect
- Completely free of lemon extracts, so it is safe on all unfinished fretboards: rosewood, ebony and maple
- Premium quality cleaner and conditioner used by high-end repair shops
- Contains no petroleum, wax, detergents, or water
- Dries fast but maintains conditioning for months
Music Nomad’s F-ONE is formulated using a complex mixture of the finest ultra-refined oils to clean, condition, and protect your unfinished fretboard.
Music Nomad MN205 The Nomad String, Body, and Hardware Cleaning Tool
- Innovative design extends the life and preserves the tone of strings, and also cleans the body and hardware without any cleaning solution
- Premium quality washable microfiber pad cleans on top and underneath strings in seconds
- Quickly cleans dust, grime, and fingerprints on the instrument’s body and hard to reach areas
- Turn it around to use the super soft, natural fibers to safely clean dust build-up on the body, bridge, pickups, saddles, tuners, and headstock
- All-in-1 tool can be used on all electric and acoustic stringed instruments, drums, mixers, computers, pedals, and more
Oasis OH-2 Digital Hygrometer w/clip
- Guaranteed for 5 full years
- Super-slim profile design with secure Velcro mount fits anywhere
- Advanced humidity sensor maintains exceptional accuracy for years
- Records high/low temperatures
- Measures temperature in C or FOn/off switch
When the relative humidity drops below 40%, musical instruments are at risk of cracking. The Oasis Digital Hygrometer accurately measures relative humidity and can help you decide when to use your Humidifier.
Oasis OH-26 Mandolin Humidifier
- The Oasis OH-26 Mandolin Humidifier helps prevent mandolin body cracks due to dry conditions.
- The mandolin humidifier from Oasis is a modified version of their OH-6 case humidifier. It is shorter than the OH-6, so it can stand upright in a mandolin case.
- The clip is shorter to fit the reduced depth of the mandolin case. The clip also has a wider top so it can span the side of a plush case.
- The humidity output is reduced from that of the OH-6 because the area to be humidified is smaller.
- Please note: The OH-26 will only fit cases where there is an open area for the humidifier to fit (F style)
AcuRite 00613 Indoor Humidity Monitor
- Measures indoor temperature (Fahrenheit or Celsius) and humidity
- Humidity level icon indicates high, low, or ideal indoor conditions
- Daily high and low temperature and humidity records
- Totally wireless tabletop and magnet-mountable design
- Powered by one (1) AA battery (not included)
MANDOLIN RESOURCES – PICKS
Pickboy Mandolin Pick
- 10 pc pack
Celluloid is the material that many players prefer and most sounds like real tortoise shell. Picks made from this material have warm tone and respond well. We think it is one of our best sounding materials.
D’Andrea Pro Plec Rounded Triangle Picks
- 12 piece Bulk Bag
- Pro choice for tone and articulation
- D’Andrea Pro Pluck 346 Rounded Triangle 12 piece Shell 1.5mm
D’Andrea Pro Plucks are manufactured in the US utilizing industrial strength thermoplastic. Available in 1.5mm gauge and beautiful shell finish, the 6 distinctive shapes offer demanding guitarists a variety of options to achieve their desired tone, and articulation.
Clayton Spike Ultem Gold Sharp Triangle Guitar Picks
- Produces a clean crisp tone with limited flex
- Unlike real tortoise shell this material will not fracture
- Pointed tip is unique to the Spike picks
Spike will have you licking your chops on how satisfying this new pick is. Its sharp edges will allow you to get that killer attack with all of your speed riffs. Made of Ultem for ultimate strength
Fender 351 Premium Celluloid Guitar Picks
- Classic shape
- Medium weight
- Combine the traditional tone and feel of celluloid
You cannot go wrong with the classics. In this case, we are talking about the Fender 351 Premium Celluloid Guitar Pick. Classic shape, heavy weight, these picks combine the traditional tone and feel of celluloid, with beautiful and unique colors. Celluloid is one of the best pick materials, as it gives you traditional feel, a smooth striking surface and a warm tone.
Dunlop 513P1.5 Primetone® Triangle Sculpted Plectra
- Hand-burnished sculpted edges
- Made from Ultex
- Prime tone Triangle Sculpted Plectra Guitar Picks
- Gauge: 1.5mm
Primetone Sculpted Plectra will glide off your strings and bring out the true voice and clarity of your instrument. With hand-burnished sculpted edges, these picks allow for fast, articulate runs and effortless strumming. Made from Ultex for maximum durability and superior tonal definition. Available in three different shapes with a low-profile grip or a smooth traditional surface.
MANDOLIN RESOURCES – CASES
Boulder Alpine Deluxe Mandolin Gig Bag
- Luggage-grade 600 denier nylon exterior
- 12mm padding
- No-scratch soft gray interior lining
- Separate 12mm, padded zipper guard
- Multi-layer storage pockets for accessories and side mounted water-bottle pouch
- Fully adjustable and removable back-pack straps with added chest strap
- Durable, rubber coated, primary carry handle with multiple webbed secondary handles
The Alpine Series of gig bags represents years of development in the area of soft-sided, yet durable instrument transportation. This series of gig bags blends all the modern advancements in instrument protection that a traveling musician would ever need. Features include a high grade denier for the exterior and a soft plush lining for the interior, an additional layer of thick, highly supportive padding surrounds the instrument, multilayer storage pockets, a mesh water bottle compartment, reflective piping for night-time safety, and removable back straps—a feature Saga originally developed close to twenty years ago and that is now a standard feature on every gig bag made today
TKL Mandolin Case
- Multi-Ply, Hand-Laminated Wood
- ShellArch-Top Reinforcement System
- Heavy-Duty Durahyde Covering
- Providence Forge Steel-Plated Hardware
- Comfort Grip Molded Handle
- Contoured, Thickly-Padded, Soft Plush Interior
- Spacious Accessory Compartment
- Traditional Neck Support System
Travelite Deluxe Case
- Precision-engineered instrument cavity made of high-grade lightweight foam
- Arched-top construction with full suspension top and bottom provides superior strength
- Plush velour interior with neck support and Velcro strap ensures a snug, protective fit
- Heavy-duty ballistic nylon exterior cover will stand up to the elements and look great for many years to come
- Luggage-grade nylon zipper, hygrometer to control moisture, locking latch and detachable, adjustable shoulder straps keep your instrument secure
- Roomy interior compartment to hold all your essential accessories
Travelite cases by Saga are made of the most modern, space-age poly-expanded materials to provide the ideal combination of lightness & strength.
MANDOLIN RESOURCES – STANDS
Hamilton Tabletop Music Stand
- This stand has been continuously made by Hamilton for over 100 years
- American style desk with top braces for additional support of music
- Reading angle is adjustable
- Folds to compact size for storage in a drawer
- Bright chrome plated finish for durability and long life
Hercules GS303B Folk Instruments Stand
- Holds banjos, mandolins, violins and ukuleles securely with adjustable foam pads
- Easy to set up and pack up
- Sturdy steel construction
- Specially Formulated Foam on all possible contact points to protect your instrument
Hama Star 61 Tripod
- For photo and video
- 3-way tripod head with quick release plate
- With crank for continuously variable height adjustment of centre column
- With rubber feet
- Holds up to 3kg
MANDOLIN RESOURCES – RECORDING
Audio-Technica PRO-35 Pro Series Microphone Pro 35
- UniMount clip permits accurate positioning, provides shock resistance and protects element
- Cardioid polar pattern reduces pickup of sounds from the sides and rear, improving isolation of desired sound source
- Extended frequency response captures subtle nuances of the performance
- 6′ (1.8 m) cable permanently attached to microphone
This is the microphone used by Chris Thile for his live performances, as he describes it in an 2012 interview in the Mandolin Cafe. This should be more than enough for the rest of us, considering also the good price of this microphone.
- Built-in X/Y stereo mics record at either 90° or 120°
- Four channel simultaneous recording using built-in and external mics
- Digitally controlled, high-quality mic preamp for improved audio quality
- Large 1.9-Inch LCD screen and improved user interface for easy operation
- 24bit/96kHz Linear PCM recording for pristine recording
World-class recording for everyone
Representing the next level of professional recording performance, the H4n delivers superior audio quality and dramatically improves the user experience. Zoom’s most sophisticated handheld recorder to date will amaze, no matter the application.
Unique X/Y mic design captures perfect stereo images
The H4n’s onboard X/Y stereo condenser mics are arranged with the right and left mics on the same axis. This design ensures that the mics are always equidistant from the sound source for perfect localization with no phase shifting. Frequency response remains uniform throughout your recording. The result is great stereo recording with natural depth and accurate imaging every time.
MANDOLIN RESOURCES – BOOKS
Mandolin For Dummies Book
The newest addition to the highly successful Dummies instrument-instruction line, Mandolin For Dummies gives you easy-to-follow, step-by-step instruction on learning to play the mandolin. Following the time-tested Dummies format, Mandolin For Dummies provides a level of content and instruction greater than anything currently available.
Mandolin For Dummies breaks down the fundamentals of this instrument and provides the resources you need to practice and improve your ability over time.
- Packed with individualized instruction on key mandolin-friendly musical styles, including Irish and Celtic, “old time” American music, blues, bluegrass, swing, and jazz
- Files available via download provide audio tracks from the book and exercises so you can play along and build your skills — almost 2 hours of music!
- Clear and useful photos and diagrams ensure you fret, strum, and pick with precision
- Includes a mandolin buying guide to help ensure you make the right purchases
- Tips on restringing mandolins and other DIY care and maintenance topics
- If you’re an aspiring mandolin player, don’t fret! Mandolin For Dummies has you covered.
The Beatles For Solo Mandolin
20 favorite Beatles tunes in chord melody arrangements for mandolin including:
- All You Need Is Love *
- Blackbird *
- Can’t Buy Me Love *
- Eight Days a Week *
- Here Comes the Sun *
- Hey Jude * In My Life *
- Let It Be * Michelle *
- Strawberry Fields Forever *
- Twist and Shout *
- We Can Work It Out *
- Yesterday *
- and more.
Musiques Populaires Bresiliennes
Musiques Populaires Bresiliennes composed by Celso Machado (1953-). For Flute and guitar. Classical. Grade 3. Score. 14 pages. Published by Editions Henry Lemoine (LM.24893).
- Pacoca (Choro) –
- Quebra Queixo (Choro) –
- Piazza Vittorio (Choro Maxixe) –
- Algodao Doce (Samba) –
- Sambossa (Bossa Nova) –
- Pe De Moleque (Samba).