Update (14/02/2013): The Online Mandolin Tuner has been updated (again!) to become more user friendly. Is this the last time? Who knows… If you fail to tune, this possibly means that you need ear training. Then, I suggest you try the excellent iPhone/iPod/iPad tuner application, reviewed by theMandolinTuner.
I tried hard to make this Online Mandolin Tuner intuitive. Still, If you do not understand what you need to do, or you hear no sound when clicking on the picks, I probably failed! So here are the instructions:
To use the Online Mandolin Tuner by ear for mandolins tuned in the standard GDAE way
- Click one of the four picks.
- You will hear the reference sound for the selected string pairs.
- Use your ear to match the sound of your mandolin string to the sound you hear from the Online Mandolin Tuner.
- If there is no match, you need to use a tuning peg to tighten or loose your string.
- To identify which tuning pegs to use for the string you picked, check the slideshow.
Tuning How-To (more details)
I usually start with the G string pair (thickest), and continue with the other pairs (D, A, E) till the mandolin is fully tuned:
- Identify the G strings and G tuning pegs using the image slideshows above. Note you can play and pause the slide show and even manually go to previous or next images
- Pick one of the G strings of the pair, and try to match the tuner.
- Tighten or loosen the corresponding G tuning peg, till you have a match.
- Repeat for both strings of each pair (G, D, A, E)
If you have reached here, it probably means you have tuned your mandolin! I am so happy for you! Thank you so much for spending your time trying my online mandolin tuner and instructions.
Please leave me a message to inform me how much time it took you to tune your mandolin.
If you did not manage to tune it, also leave me a message describing your experience, and also check other posts below:
- Can a beginner tune a Mandolin?
- Tuning the Mandolin in 4 easy steps
- 5 easy steps to set the Mandolin bridge
- Mandolin Tuning, step-by-step
Like What You Read?
Enter your name and email to get Free Instant Access to the most comprehensive e-book available on how to master the methods and tools used for mandolin tuning. Learn:Join the mandolin players that have enjoyed my e-book and receive a weekly newsletter with exclusive mandolin tips.